[CentOS] help with Xlib

Steve Huff shuff at vecna.org
Thu Jan 12 03:24:14 UTC 2006

On Jan 11, 2006, at 10:17 PM, Craig White wrote:

> thanks but you are still over my head.
>
> xhost +localhost returns the same error.
>
> DisallowTCP is commented in /etc/X11/gdm/gdm.conf
>
> The issue seems to be that gdm isn't running...is it supposed to be
> running in runlevel 3?
>
> If so...what is the right way to start it?

switch to runlevel 5:

# /sbin/init 5

this will make gdm start.  however, you may also want to create the
file /etc/X1.hosts and populate it with the hostnames or IP addresses
of the machine(s) from which you will be connecting.

do this before you go to runlevel 5.

-steve

---
If this were played upon a stage now, I could condemn it as an
improbable fiction. - Fabian, Twelfth Night, III,v