[CentOS] recompiling kernel for centos 4.2 x86_64

Sun Jan 15 11:52:48 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-01-14 at 22:53 +0000, James Pearson wrote:
> > On Fri, 2006-01-13 at 15:06 -0800, Fong Vang wrote:
> > > Is it possible compile an a new x86_64 kernel on an i686 CentOS
> > > system?
> >
> > no, you need to do it from an x86_64 machine.
>
> Not strictly true, it is possible to build a x86_64 kernel on an i686
> using a cross compiler - I rebuilt my first x86_64 kernel in this way
>
> If you _really_ want to do it, googling for 'cross compiler x86_64'
> will produce many pointers, but I wouldn't recommend going there ...

While it is possible (though fairly complicated) to do a cross compiler
tool chain and rebuild the kernel ... it is even more difficult (once
you have worked out all the gcc issues) to get all the RPM variables set
up to properly make RPMS form another arch.  While it would not be
impossible, it would be VERY HARD to compile x86_64 RPMS reliably on an
x86 machine, especially SRPMS that use automake, autoconf, libtool, etc.
There is a program called setarch that can help ... but I have still had
issues in this regard.

The method that was trying to be used also involved rebuilding the
SRPM ... therefore my original answer.

In order to reliably rebuild RPMS for another arch, you really need to
have some kind of emulator running that will make the installed programs
think that they are really compiling on the arch you want ... otherwise
all the configure files will compile against the wrong shared libraries
when they do configuration checks.