[CentOS] LVM: Shrinking a physical partition

Wed Jan 18 10:10:57 UTC 2006

> On Tue, 2006-01-17 at 20:28, Collins Richey wrote:
>
> > Just for the record, are you up to 4.2 level? AFAIK, lvm(2) support
> > was quite broken prior to that. Waiting for others to comment.
>
> Does that mean it is no longer broken, or just not quite as
> broken as it used to be?  Are snapshots reliable now?

Snapshots are not reliable yet, in my experience. (In the currently
released code from EL4u2).

There are more improvements in the u3 kernel:

------
-set of device mapper changes: (Alasdair G Kergon)
 -fix dm_swap_table error cases
 -device-mapper multipath: Use private workqueue [154432]
 -device-mapper dm-emc: Fix a memset [154435]
 -device-mapper multipath: Flush workqueue when destroying [156412]
 -dm-raid1: Limit bios to size of mirror region
 -device-mapper snapshots: Handle origin extension
 -device-mapper dm.c - set of locking fixes [156569]
 -device-mapper multipath: Clean up presuspend hook
 -device-mapper multipath: Not every error is EIO [155427 151324]
 -device-mapper multipath: Fix pg initialisation races [154442]
 -device-mapper multipath: Default to SCSI error handler
------

and in the u3 LVM2

------
* Fri Dec 02 2005 Alasdair Kergon <agk at redhat.com> - 2.02.01-1.1

- Build against latest device-mapper package.

* Wed Nov 23 2005 Alasdair Kergon <agk at redhat.com> - 2.02.01-1.0

- Fix lvdisplay command line for snapshots; fix open file promotion
  to read/write; fix an lvcreate error path.
- Update package dependencies.

* Thu Nov 10 2005 Alasdair Kergon <agk at redhat.com> - 2.02.00-1.0

- Lots of fixes and new activation code.
------

We shall see if this is any better, so far it seems to be ... but I am
not running this in production yet.