[CentOS] Kernel update and csgfs

Bowie Bailey

Bowie_Bailey at BUC.com
Wed Jan 18 17:26:24 UTC 2006

My apologies if this is a stupid question, but I'm not familiar with
how kernel updates and kernel modules interact.

I see that there are some kernel updates available via yum:

=
 Package                 Arch       Version          Repository        Size
=
Installing:
 kernel                  x86_64     2.6.9-22.0.2.EL  update             10 M
 kernel-devel            x86_64     2.6.9-22.0.2.EL  update            3.5 M
 kernel-smp              x86_64     2.6.9-22.0.2.EL  update            9.6 M
Updating:
 kernel-smp-devel        x86_64     2.6.9-22.0.2.EL  update            3.6 M

Will updating to this new kernel cause problems with the cman-kernel,
GFS-kernel, or dlm-kernel modules?  Will yum warn me about those types
of issues?

As a more generic question, is it generally safe to let "yum update"
install the updates it finds?

Thanks,
Bowie