[CentOS] Kernel update and csgfs

Bowie Bailey Bowie_Bailey at BUC.com
Wed Jan 18 18:26:41 UTC 2006

Rodrigo Barbosa wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 18, 2006 at 12:26:24PM -0500, Bowie Bailey wrote:
> > Installing:
> >  kernel                  x86_64     2.6.9-22.0.2.EL  update
> >  10 M kernel-devel            x86_64     2.6.9-22.0.2.EL  update
> >  3.5 M kernel-smp              x86_64     2.6.9-22.0.2.EL  update
> >  9.6 M Updating: kernel-smp-devel        x86_64     2.6.9-22.0.2.EL
> > update            3.6 M
> >
> > Will updating to this new kernel cause problems with the
> > cman-kernel, GFS-kernel, or dlm-kernel modules?
>
> Yes.
>
> > Will yum warn me about those types of issues?
>
> No. As you can see, you are not updating the kernel, but installing
> a new one. If you select the old one (on grub) when booting, those
> old module will still work.

Ok.  I guess I'll have to wait until the csgfs packages get updated for
the new kernel.

> > As a more generic question, is it generally safe to let "yum update"
> > install the updates it finds?
>
> If you have a 100% stock distribution, yes. Otherwise, no.

It is stock except for the csgfs packages from the CentOS-csgfs
repository and one or two other rpm packages.

I want to keep the machine up to date, but I guess I'll have to be
careful with the kernel updates.  Any others that could cause problems?

--
Bowie