[CentOS] ruby on rails

Preston Crawford me at prestoncrawford.com
Thu Jan 19 07:26:44 UTC 2006

On Wed, 18 Jan 2006, Craig White wrote:

> we all have our pet peeves - mine is hard to read html mail - apparently
> Jim's is top posted replies.

Mine is both. :-)

And a third.

People who complain about top-posting. :P

> As for ruby - perhaps upstream is so focused on eclipse that it ignores
> rails and thus ruby as a language might be fine at 1.8.1 but as those
> who have checked it out, know that rails is a rapidly moving target and
> upstream isn't covering it.

Yeah, I think that's just life, though. There are quite a few pieces of
software (slrn, ncftp, ruby) where I just go with source. Works fine.

> For those who have a few minutes to burn - you might want to check out
> the interesting quicktime movies that they have which demonstrate ruby
> on rails...
>
> http://www.rubyonrails.org/screencasts
>
> personally, I haven't seen anything as exciting since the release of
> Netscape 2.0
>
> ;-)

Agreed. I love working with Java, J2EE, etc. but it's gotten to be kind of
taxing and tedious to link together all the frameworks sometimes. So Rails
is very refreshing. I think the reliance on CGI (no module as of yet for
apache for rails as far as I know) is a pain. I wish that would be
remedied. Other than that I think it has lots of promise if I can ever get
the time to work on it (too busy doing Java).

That said, your comparison to Netscape 2.0 is apt. Thus the reason
installing from source is the best option. :)

Preston