[CentOS] Kernel update and csgfs

Maciej Żenczykowski maze at cela.pl
Thu Jan 19 15:16:12 UTC 2006

> I though dependency tracking was what yum and rpms were for?  If I
> installed the cman-kernel package via yum, shouldn't I get a dependency
> warning if I try to install the new kernel?  I know I would get one if I
> tried to install the current cman-kernel package on top of the new
> kernel.

You would if you tried to update the kernel (thus removing the old kernel
which is a dependency of the cman-kernel packages).  However, _normally_
you DO NOT want to upgrade a kernel - you instead install a new one,
reboot into it at some time in the future - and only when everything is
verified to be working do you uninstall the old one.  You often have more
than one kernel installed at once (I usually keep a UP kernel, an old
verified working SMP kernel, and the newest SMP kernel which is currently
being used). Furthermore not every module fits  with every kernel so I
can't imagine how this could be fixed automatically with the above
notes...  I guess having some sort of automagical build system in place
could possibly work?  To be executed at kernel install...  But even  that
would not always be correct.

Cheers,
MaZe.