[CentOS] RE: Broadcom NIC Binding under Centos 4.2

ABOKHALAF, Nassri Abdellatif naabokhalaf at refertelecom.pt
Thu Jan 19 15:25:10 UTC 2006

Hello all, again,

Still stocked with this NIC binding problem.
With Robin's conf both nics work fine in the active-backup config
(thanks Robin !)
I wanted to go a little bit further & bind both interfaces in an
active-active conf.
James pointed out the Documentation/networking/bonding.txt. (thanks
James!)
It states that there is a HA-mode where both NIC'S can work in
active-active mode.
I've configured the switch to operate in trunk mode for my VLAN and
configured my CENTOS box to aggregate the links, but cannot manage to
ping my gateway. All interfaces show the same mac addr what is good but,
arp -a shows nothing !

Question:

Documentation does not say how or if you have to configure de  bonding
mode for HA in /etc/modprobe.conf. From my point of view it should be
mode=6 (balance-alb), but since it does not work I must be wrong! Or
should it be left empty ?

Any clues ? Could it be the switch ?

Thanks,

Nassri

My conf:

Switch - Cisco 3750

interface GigabitEthernet1/0/19
 description DNS1
 switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q
 switchport trunk allowed vlan 201
 switchport mode trunk
end
!
interface GigabitEthernet1/0/18
 description DNS2
 switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q
 switchport trunk allowed vlan 201
 switchport mode trunk
end

CENTOS BOX

/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 &  ifcfg-eth1
DEVICE=ethx
BOOTPROTO=static
TYPE=Ethernet
ONBOOT=yes
SLAVE=yes
MASTER=bond0

etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-bond0
DEVICE=bond0
ONBOOT=yes
IPADDR=10.10.4.27
NETMASK=255.255.255.0