[CentOS] Re: Kernel update and csgfs

John Thomas gmane-2006-01-01 at jt-socal.com
Thu Jan 19 15:55:35 UTC 2006

Johnny Hughes wrote:
<snip>
>> I though dependency tracking was what yum and rpms were for?  If I
>> installed the cman-kernel package via yum, shouldn't I get a dependency
>> warning if I try to install the new kernel?  I know I would get one if I
>> tried to install the current cman-kernel package on top of the new
>> kernel.
>>
> If it were an upgrade/update and not an install ... that might work.
>
> But since nothing is trying to remove the old kernel (just install a new
> one too), the install requirements remain meet.
>
> IF then booting the new kernel, all hell breaks loose :)
>
> IF booting the old kernel ... still good to go.

Is there a way to know if the new Kernel will work, in other words have
Yum do its dependency checking as if it were an upgrade?  My server is
remote, so if the new kernel does not boot I am in trouble.

I am a noob (partial Windows convert) so I am not smart (or remember
what I did) enough to know  if it will work.  In that regard, thank
goodness for Yum otherwise.