[CentOS] System hangs silently

Thu Jan 19 19:52:11 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-01-19 at 11:22 -0800, Mickael Maddison wrote:
> Thursday, January 19, 2006, 10:14:54 AM, you wrote:

> >> I'd have a hard time calling a performance hit of no more than 10% to
> >> 15% (and typically much less than that) an "awful waste." :-)
>
> > exactly ... hyperthreading is mostly "hype" ... and very little
> > "rthreading" :)
>
> I've heard a lot of criticism on hyperthreading on various lists.
> While I haven't actually measured the performance of a machine that
> has it enabled vs. disabled, I have noticed that the same machine with
> hyperthreading enabled responds much faster to SSH logins etc. when
> the machine is under heavy loads.  Given that I've had no problems
> with using HT, I'm happy to have it.

Absolutely, if it works on given hardware then use it, any performance
gain is worth having :)

But if you look objectively at the gain, it is not 2x the
performance ... maybe 1.25x ... maybe a little more ... maybe not.

If it is broken, it is not the end of the world though, which I think
was the initial point.

It is not nearly as much an increase in performance as you see with dual
core processors, for example.