[CentOS] SOLVED: proprietary SSH -> OpenSSH migration and rsync errors

Salvatore Enrico Indiogine

hindiogine at gmail.com
Sat Jan 21 01:08:48 UTC 2006

2006/1/20, Salvatore Enrico Indiogine <hindiogine at gmail.com>:
> 2006/1/20, Jim Perrin <jperrin at gmail.com>:
> > > When I run rsync over ssh, even sudo, I get permissions errors:
> > >
> > > sudo rsync -av --rsh=/usr/bin/ssh --delete <source dir>
> > >

> >  I've always used -e ssh when rsyncing that way, might give it a shot
> > and see if it's a command difference.
> >

> > > readlink groups/amatogroup/intranet/FoldingServerOO-dev/trash/foldingServer/Folding.NMA/CVS:
> > > Permission denied
> > >
> > > and
> > >
> > > opendir(groups/amatogroup/research/shepherding/single/RCS): Permission denied
> > >
> > > Any idea?   I did a lot of googling, but nothing that looked useful to me.
> > > Thanks!
> >
> > Does it work right outside of ssh (assuming that's possible to test)?
>
> -e ssh must be equivalent to --rsh=/usr/bin/ssh because it did not
> affect the result.
>
> The directories that rsync can not copy usually have a 700 permission.
>  That is why I run it sudo rsync.  For some reason sudo does not give
> rsync all the permissions that it should have.

Messed up permissions on the receiving end.   I had to rename users to
make the authentication key pair work and that messed up the
permissions on the filesystem.  The owner and group of the file still
had the same name, but it referred to the previous 'incarnation' of
the user.  I wonder how to make this visible?   How can you make ls
show the UID and GID of a file instead of its name?

Thanks for all the help.

--
Enrico Indiogine
Parasol Laboratory