[CentOS] htdbm

Paul R. Ganci

ganci at nurdog.com
Sat Jan 21 23:21:51 UTC 2006

According to the man page for htdbm:

NAME
       htdbm - Manipulate DBM password databases

SYNOPSIS
      <snipped>

       htdbm -l [ -TDBTYPE ]
<snipped>

     -l     Print each of the usernames and comments from the database
on stdout.

yet when I execute htdbm I am finding that the output of the command is
going to stderr not stdout. I have proved this by trying the following
two commands:

$ htdbm -l -TDB passwords > junk; wc junk
Dumping records from database -- ./passwords
    Username                        Comment
    <snipped>

0 0 0 junk

$ /usr/bin/htdbm -l -TDB ./passwords >&junk; wc junk
  28   37 1034 junk

Note in the first command the output still goes to the screen despite
the stdout redirect with ">". In the second command line I added the "&"
ito redirect stderr to the file. This time note that there is no htdbm
output to the screen and that the file junk now contains the expected
data. This is clearly a bug. Does anyone know of a work around to this
problem or where I can find a RPM for dbmmanage?

--
Paul (ganci at nurdog.com)