[CentOS] Re: Using Centos

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Thu Jan 26 23:39:35 UTC 2006

Alex Chen spake the following on 1/26/2006 12:07 PM:
> We need to resell systems that run commercial software on Linux. We were
> using Red Hat ES 3 originally.
> But we later realize that we cannot redistribute RHES without paying
> them huge subscription fee because of the trademark.
> I came across CentOS from WBEL mailing list.  This looks like a godsend
> to me. I have some questions regarding CentOS.
> I would appreciate it if someone can provide me the answers:
>
> 1. Can I use your package to install a machine for resell?  Is there fee
> involved?  Do you have any EULA that I can get?
> 2. I believe it is RHES based, what is the version matrix corresponding
> to Red Hat ES?
> 3. Does it have extra stuff other than vanilla RHES added?
> 4. If I decide to do the rebuild myself to remove the RH trademark
> stuff, what packages should I modify?
>
> Any help will be greatly appreciated.
>
> Alex
Look here;
http://www.centos.org/modules/tinycontent/index.php?id=2
and to quote;
"CentOS-4 is a freely distributable OS built from the source at"
"CentOS-3 is a freely distributable OS built from the source at"
Notice the words "freely disributable"

But then again, if you are making loads of money using their distro, a
donation to their cause would not be unreasonable.
 CentOS-4 is equivalent to RedHat enterprise 4 and CentOS-3 is equivalent to
RedHat 3 ...etc.
This should also your answer your post on the Whitebox Linux list.

--

| MailScanner; The best |___________ \N1____====== )-+
| protection on the net!|                   ~~~|/~~  |