[CentOS] Has anyone had success getting on-board sound to work on a Tyan S2895?

Joshua Baker-LePain jlb17 at duke.edu
Sat Jan 28 12:59:18 UTC 2006

On Fri, 27 Jan 2006 at 10:03pm, David J. Mellor wrote

> My setup is as follows:
>
> Motherboard: Tyan S2895
> CPU: Two Opteron 275s
> Memory: 4 GB
> Disk: Three 250 GB SATA drives attached to a 3Ware 9500S-4LP RAID card
> Video: Nvidia GeForce 7800
>
> The only hardware that I have added to the motherboard is the 3Ware card
> and the Nvidia card. The disks are configured as a RAID 5 array, and the
> machine boots from this array. I installed CentOS 4.2 x86 on this system
> without any problems during the installation. The on-board sound card
> was recognised and the correct driver (snd_intel8x0) installed to handle
> it. However, on rebooting into the SMP kernel after the install, the
> installation proved to be completely unstable. The kernel would panic
> sometimes during startup and sometimes during shutdown. The uniprocessor
> kernel seemed to be stable, but I noticed the following error messages
> appearing on the console during startup (the same error messages also
> appeared when booting into the SMP kernel):
>
> 3w-9xxx: scsi0: ERROR: (0x03:0x0104): SGL entry has illegal length:address=0x37077000, length=0xFF, cmd=X.

Ignoring for the moment your real question, that's actually a harmless
error message.  Look at the 3ware knowledge base.  The "fix" is to update
your 3ware codeset (=firmware+driver) to the latest for the 9500, which
you can do while still using the stock kernel.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering