[CentOS] Cannot disable SELinux

Kai Schaetzl

maillists at conactive.com
Mon Jan 30 19:01:40 UTC 2006

I'm getting a SELinux warning when trying to start a perl daemon
(bigsister) that I installed on a fresh CentOS 4.2 system and the start
fails (there is nothing else logged, I cannot be sure that this is the
fail reason but I assume it). However, SELinux is set to permissive mode,
isn't permissive mode meant to only issue warnings and not block anything?
So, as a first workaround I tried disabling SELinux, but this doesn't work
either, I still get the warning which should not happen at all if
disabled.

cat /selinux/enforce shows "0" (= not enforced)
I disabled by setting SELINUX=disabled in /etc/sysconfig/selinux (whichs
symlinks to /etc/selinux).
Yes, I rebooted with each try.

The unofficial SELinux FAQ at http://www.crypt.gen.nz/selinux/faq.html
says to add a kernel parameter to grub.conf for completely disabling it.
However, that's not what I want. I want to disable it by "normal" means
(or preferrably set it to *real* permissive mode).
What am I doing wrong?

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany