[CentOS] Bind cache - hobbyist's silly question

Andrew Hull list at racc2000.com
Tue Jan 31 14:08:34 UTC 2006

Iain M Lee wrote:
> I'm running the Bind nameserver on CentOS 4.2. Can anyone tell me where
> the cached lookups are stored and whether there is a way to view them?

If you have RNDC configured (can't remember if it is by default) then it
will output the named cache to a local file.

$ rndc dumbdb

That will create a file (configurable in /etc/named.conf) containing the
named cache (mine is /var/named/data/cache_dumb.db, don't remember if
this is the default).

This will not clear the current cache in RAM, just output it to file.

Hope that helps,
Andrew