[CentOS] OT - Linux NAS for Windows Environment

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Tue Jan 31 22:25:20 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-01-31 at 16:07, Troy Engel wrote:
> Then from the client, it simply runs the backup client indicating who
> the server is and it's target, supplying the password (rsync
> user at server1::laptop1 etc.). To me this seems a lot more architecturally
> simple (and if you want SSH, you set it up after-the-fact as the
> transport) and so forth.
>
> Yet, no project (I can find, rdiff-backup would be nice) does this - is
> there a reason? Why does everyone insist on dealing with SSH and keys?
> (ignore the encryption benefit)

If you have more than a couple of backup clients, it is
necessary for the server to handle the scheduling to control
the load and ssh keys are the easy way to allow automated
remote commands.  By the way, backuppc can use smb shares
or rsyncd targets instead of ssh if you like and can handle
dhcp addresses when using the smb share method.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell at gmail.com