[CentOS] Selectively updating protected repos

Dag Wieers dag at wieers.com
Sun Jul 2 12:12:10 UTC 2006

On Fri, 30 Jun 2006, Robert Spangler wrote:

> On Thu June 29 2006 16:20, Bart Schaefer wrote:
>
> >  I've been trying out the protectbase plugin for yum, and haven't yet
> >  determined the best way to selectively update a package.  E.g. I'd
> >  like to mark the base repo as protected, but get the latest firefox
> >  from the centosplus repo.
> >
> >  What's the correct incantation for this?
>
> Goto your /etc/yum.repos.d and edit CentOS-Base.repo and do the following;
>
> under [base] add
> exclude=firefox
>
> Under [centosplus] add
> includepkgs=firefox

In fact the protectbase plugin should understand that if you force a
package out of base, that this is the desired behaviour and pull new
packages from the repository it came from.

This behaviour would allow people to override protectbase and make it
permanent. Yum in that case needs to display what it is doing so there's
no chance of misinterpreting the behaviour.

Kind regards,