[CentOS] Using Centos on both server and client systems a private network

Karanbir Singh mail-lists at karan.org
Mon Jul 3 18:49:40 UTC 2006

rance at frontiernet.net wrote:
> I'm looking for how-tos/hints to make the following possible:
>
> I downloaded all four centos 4.3 iso to a ext3 partition on my hd,
> burned the first disk only, and the a hd based install.
>
> Problem: Centos didnt seem to take into account that I was doing a HD
> based install and and ask me if I wanted to use the hd images as a
> source for additional appliction installs later.  Now it asks me for the
> cds and I dont want that.  I want it to look at the hd for the
> additional rpms.

boot with the 'askmethod' option, or use the boot.iso to boot the
machine, not cd-1.

> Catch:  The catch is that this "server" will eventually be setup to
> "feed" the cds out to clients when they install and when they "add apps
> later". So I'd like to use an implementation method that lends itself to
> both applications.
>
> I'm open to nfs, ftp, or http content delivery to clients in case one or
> the other makes a difference.

http is my favorite option. once the machine is installed, setup a
repository locally on the machine and share it out via httpd, let the
remote machines either pxeboot or use the boot.iso to start the
installer and install over the net.