[CentOS] Selectively updating protected repos

William L. Maltby BillsCentOS at triad.rr.com
Mon Jul 3 20:05:15 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-07-03 at 16:47 -0300, Rodrigo Barbosa wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 03, 2006 at 03:39:55PM -0400, William L. Maltby wrote:
> > Now if we can be sure that Yum understands that .rf, .plus, ... are all
> > the same packages, we're home free. But ... are they the same packages?
> > This may be a dumb question, but can we be sure firefox from one repo is
> > compatible with what a user runs? Kernel features differences, etc. For
> > firefox, maybe the answer is yes. Does that apply generally to other
> > packages too? Is the "unprotect" solution certain to be "generally
> > applicable"? OTOH, that is a user administration problem, isn't it?
>
> Actually, that is a minor issue. RPM itself has the final vote on
> who is the newest package. So YUM really should not worry about it.
> At least, I hope YUM uses rpmVersionCompare.

That leads me to another thought. Have we been seeing issues in which
Yum has become a counter-productive solution? As with any tool, Yum was
designed with a certain set of needs to be addressed and a certain set
of condition in which it expected to operate.

Are some of the answers given for "how to do it with Yum" really a
disservice? Maybe some answers should be "Forget Yum for your situation,
use RPM directly"?

I only ask because we have all seen how easily we fall into the process
of fitting a square peg into a round hole when all we needed to do was
grab a round peg.

--
Bill