[CentOS] cyrus-sasl mysql backend

Matt Hyclak hyclak at math.ohiou.edu
Wed Jul 5 04:49:13 UTC 2006

On Wed, Jul 05, 2006 at 09:10:31AM +0800, Feizhou enlightened us:
> Matt Hyclak wrote:
> >On Tue, Jul 04, 2006 at 05:11:05PM +0800, Feizhou enlightened us:
> >
> >>guess what...RHEL4's postfix also crashes with using cyrus-sasl code
> >>with the sql plugin.
> >>
> >>there must be something wrong with the way cyrus-sasl-sql was built...
> >

> >You still haven't specified which version of cyrus-sasl-sql you're using,
> >other than a mention that you once recompiled it from or on (not real
> >clear)
> >FC2.
>
> Oh yeah, I better also mention that that was the x86-64 edition of FC2
> on a dual Opteron box and to make it perfectly clear, that is a
> different box to what I have now which is just a P4 box running Centos 4
> which I keep updated and therefore Centos 4.3.

Thank you for clarifying, that was confusing in your first e-mail.

> >It's tough for people to help if you don't provide the details and/or if
> >you are bastardizing CentOS.
>
> Sir, I stated the use of Centos 4.3, there are no updates for
> cyrus-sasl* available and you are naive to think that everything in
> RHEL4/Centos 4 works properly. Look at the mess Redhat made with their
> kernel vm patch for those who require performance in addition to stability.
>
> I take offense at the notion that reporting problems with distribution
> provided software is equivalent to 'bastardizing CentOS' especially
> since I took pains to point out that the code comes from Redhat and not
> from the Centos project.

I was merely pointing out the fact that recompiling an SRPM from a different
distribution is not supported or recommended, and therefore 'bastardizing'
the OS. It was unclear what you had done from your first mail, but it
sounded awfully close to "I rebuilt the FC2 RPM on my CentOS box". If you
were offended by my tone, I appologize, but I'd recommend getting some
thicker skin in the future...I know perfectly well that RedHat doesn't ship
bug free software, or even software that is compatible with other software
in the distro. Reporting the problem is appreciated, but as I said, it was
unclear if you were reporting a problem with CentOS's RPM or FC2's RPM.

------------< snip <------< snip <------< snip <------------

> All traces show the crash in _dl_sysinfo_int80 for those who are
> interested in licking this one. Are there any debug rpms available?

Unfortunately the backtrace isn't terribly useful.

The debug RPMs are stored at http://vault.centos.org/debuginfo *but* it
appears that the cyrus-* rpms are missing.

Do you have access to a true RHEL 4 machine? Can this be replicated there?
If so, reporting the issue upstream would be best, with an entry in CentOS's
bug tracker with a pointer to the upstream bugzilla. If it can't be
replicated there, filing a bug report with CentOS would be the best course
of action.

Matt

--
Matt Hyclak