[CentOS] Using Centos on both server and client systems a private network

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed Jul 5 18:01:34 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-07-03 at 16:26 +0000, rance at frontiernet.net wrote:
> I'm looking for how-tos/hints to make the following possible:
>
> I downloaded all four centos 4.3 iso to a ext3 partition on my hd,
> burned the first disk only, and the a hd based install.
>
> Problem: Centos didnt seem to take into account that I was doing a HD
> based install and and ask me if I wanted to use the hd images as a
> source for additional appliction installs later.  Now it asks me for
> the cds and I dont want that.  I want it to look at the hd for the
> additional rpms.
>
> Question: How can I make this happen?
> Catch:  The catch is that this "server" will eventually be setup to
> "feed" the cds out to clients when they install and when they "add apps
> later". So I'd like to use an implementation method that lends itself
> to both applications.
>
> I'm open to nfs, ftp, or http content delivery to clients in case one
> or the other makes a difference.

If the directory where you downloaded the isos is NFS-exported
you can do an nfs install without any extra work.  I usually do
subsequent updates and package installs with yum over the internet,
but run everything through through a caching web proxy configured
to cache large files so only one download really happens without any
distribution-specific setup.  Of course distributions like fedora
that have yum get different urls from the mirrorlist every run
pretty much screw this up...

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell at gmail.com