[CentOS] Could not get shadow information for NOUSER

Scott Taylor

scott at dctchambers.com
Wed Jul 5 20:46:53 UTC 2006

Hello all,

I have a CentOS 4.2 server that gives me these error messages in my
/var/log/secure file, I realise that these are SSH attacks, but where does
the extra line "Could not get shadow information for NOUSER" come from?
This doesn't make any sense.  I have many servers running CentOS 4.2, but
don't get this error message on any others.  I hate junk in my logs.  Is
there any way to get rid of it?

Invalid user guest from ::ffff:210.210.4.60
error: Could not get shadow information for NOUSER
Failed password for invalid user guest from ::ffff:210.210.4.60 port 55073
ssh2

Cheers.

--
Scott