[CentOS] Yum Update

Gerald gwichman at gmail.com
Thu Jul 6 17:25:06 UTC 2006

Great feedback. You are all dodging around the basic question though
and thats why doesn't centosplus show all it's kernels when i do the
yum list all kernel*?

centosplus repo *is* enabled in my Centos-Base.repo file..

The behavior with the list command *seems* to be that it only shows
the most recent kernel which happens to be 2.6.9-34.107.plus.c4. When
i look in the RPMS directory i see a unsupported kernel for
2.6.9.34.106 which doesn't appear in the list (as well as many more).

Gerald

On 7/5/06, Matt Hyclak <hyclak at math.ohiou.edu> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 05, 2006 at 05:39:26PM -0700, mike opoien enlightened us:
> > nano /etc/yum.repos.d/CentOS-Base.repo
> >

> I won't comment on the choice of editors...
>
> > add the following repos, and it should get more options.
> >

> Several problems with your suggestion:
>
> 1. Dries and Dag both package for rpmforge, so in fact these both give you
> the same thing.
>
> 2. RPMforge does package some kernel modules, but not full kernels.
>
> 3. Better than editing the CentOS-Base.repo file, you should create a new
> .repo file, since the CentOS file could be overwritten on later upgrades.
>
> 4. The OP was asking about the unsupported kernel, which is located in the
> CentOSPlus repository. Try enabling that repository either via the command
> line or by setting enabled=1 in Centos-Base.repo
>
> 5. The better option may be to use the kernel-module-xfs from the testing
> repo at dev.centos.org. This is updated code from SGI whereas the XFS
> support in the unsupported kernel is mostly untouched and out of date.
>
> --
> Matt Hyclak
> Department of Mathematics
> Department of Social Work