[CentOS] Yum Update

William L. Maltby BillsCentOS at triad.rr.com
Thu Jul 6 17:59:40 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-07-06 at 13:40 -0400, William L. Maltby wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-07-06 at 10:25 -0700, Gerald wrote:
> > Great feedback. You are all dodging around the basic question though
> > and thats why doesn't centosplus show all it's kernels when i do the
> > yum list all kernel*?
>
> Maybe you don't have your config file adjusted to suit your needs? As
> delivered, the yum.conf has
>
>   pkgpolicy=newest
>
> I don't find docs for this param in the normal man/info pages.

Since curiosity often results in death to well-known felines, and I
don't want to become collarateral damage, I did a little googling for
you. Not helpful except to maybe discount any value at all for the
parameter I mention. From

   http://72.14.209.104/search?
q=cache:mMPirhs9kFAJ:www.phy.duke.edu/~rgb/General/yum_article/yum_article.pdf+pkgpolicy+yum+configure+OR+configuration+-newest&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=5

we get this snippet
pkgpolicy can be set to determine the order in which yum chooses to
decide
between two versions of the same package on different repositories it is
using
at the same time.

So, no gain, just pain I guess. I wish they'd doc this crap where it
belongs and save us all (?) some time.