[CentOS] Yum Update

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Thu Jul 6 19:38:38 UTC 2006

On Thu, Jul 06, 2006 at 12:25:24PM -0700, Gerald wrote:
> I find it interesting that a yum update always grabs the newest kernel
> regardless of repository or kernel type. e.g. if i run the unsupported
> hugemem kernel and a newer one comes out that is supported hugemem,
> it'll install that even though it's not the unsupported kernel. I've

You can use the "protectbase" plugin to change this first behavior.

> also seen it install the regular smp kernel and not the hugemem one
> because the regular smp kernel was newer. It seems to only care about

Change DEFAULTKERNEL in /etc/sysconfig/kernel to be kernel-hugemem instead
of kernel-smp.

Yum itself will upgrade whatever is installed -- it won't switch between
actually _installing_ hugemem and smp unless one is marked as obsoleting the
other.

> what kernel is newest and doesn't take context into consideration.

Yes; yum is not designed to take "context" into consideration.