[CentOS] IPTABLES don't solve name HOST - CENTOS 4.3

William L. Maltby BillsCentOS at triad.rr.com
Sat Jul 8 14:18:00 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-07-08 at 09:06 -0500, Jason Bradley Nance wrote:
> > iptables -A FORWARD -d chatenabled.mail.google.com -j DROP
>
> IPTABLES doesn't filter based on hostname.  You would need some special
> module (assuming it exists) and it for sure isn't part of RHEL/CentOS.

I know nothing about this, always looking to learn and have no qualms
about appearing stupid of foolish. So I went to "the book". "Man
iptables":

 -d, --destination [!] address[/mask]
     Destination  specification.   See  the  description  of  the -s
     (source) flag for a detailed description
-s, --source [!] address[/mask]
     Source  specification.  Address can be either a network name, a
     hostname (please note that specifying any name to  be  resolved
     with  a  remote query such as DNS is a really bad idea), a net-
     work IP address (with /mask), or a plain IP address.

Question: what am I missing here, since the man page seems to my
ignorant eye to support filters using net and/or host names.

> <snip sig stuff>

TIA
--
Bill