[CentOS] LVM Input/output error

William L. Maltby BillsCentOS at triad.rr.com
Sat Jul 8 18:35:51 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-07-08 at 14:13 -0400, William L. Maltby wrote:
> On Sat, 2006-07-08 at 21:01 +0300, Itay wrote:
> > On Sat, 2006-07-08 at 19:48 +0300, Itay wrote:
> > >
> > > From: William L. Maltby <BillsCentOS at triad.rr.com>
> > ><snip>

> Us n00bs have to stick together here!  :-)

And being n00bs, we are permitted to expound at length with guesses
about what might be going on, giving the wizened cranky old pros someone
to pick on and soothe their savage egos!  ;-)  I've not read any devel
docs yet, so there may be a lot more going on.

From rom my reading, I think the device mapper (?) needs to see a partition
86 to know to look inside the partition for the meta-data (placed there
by pvcreate/lvcreate?) that is used to generate the devices. My *guess*
is if no type 86 is found it means no pvdata is garnered and
no /dev/mapper/VolGroup* and no /dev/VolGroup* symlinks are made (or
wrong ones are made or left over from elsewhere?).

I think if it finds one or more type 86 partitions, it builds all
the /dev/mapper lvms and symlinks it needs. This includes proper
association of minor device to vg so you don have multiple physical vols
switching places on you every time you boot.

Anyway, that's my SWAG (Scientific Wild-Assed Guess) about what's going
on.

> <snip sig stuff>

When it's all working, be sure and post with a "[SOLVED]" added to the
subject and a summary of your fixes as a courtesy to other list members
and future searchers.

--
Bill