[CentOS] Re: CentOS 4 and laptop and wifi works

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Sun Jul 9 12:12:15 UTC 2006

Finally have a Centos install on my HP4010 worth working on, and put my
Atheros PCI card in instead of the Intel (Intel was always flaky with
XP, Atheros not).

Ralph Angenendt wrote:
> Tom Diehl wrote:
>> Have you succeeded in getting wpa encryption working with the
>> Atheros/madwifi
>> drivers??
>>
>> My madwifi card works just fine with no encryption but I cannot get
>> it to
>> work with the wpa encryption turned on.
>
> You need the madwifi-ng driver to use WPA, if I'm not completely wrong.
> Having no WPA enabled access point to test it on, I couldn't say if it
> works, though.
>
> <http://madwifi.org/wiki/Releases/0.9.0> - they put out the first
> release based on madwifi-ng 2 days ago.
At first when I say the -ng designation, I was skeptical, as this
normally refers to pre-11n MIMO stuff.   But looking at the wiki, I see
it is more than that.

I also see that on http://atrpms.net/dist/el4/madwifi/ the version is
0.9.1 which I hope is the -ng code.  Further I might think that I can
use:  http://dl.atrpms.net/all/madwifi-0.9.1-24.el4.at.i386.rpm even
though this is RH 4?

After I install this driver, do I run Kudzu to get the card recognized?

BTW, I will be at the IEEE 802 plenary in San Diego next week (heading
to IETF in Montreal this week), and will talk to Chesson and other of my
Atheros colleagues about progress.  Now that I actually need his help on
this!