[CentOS] Re: CentOS 4 and laptop and wifi works

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Sun Jul 9 16:00:02 UTC 2006

Tom Diehl wrote:
> On Sun, 9 Jul 2006, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
>
>> Tom Diehl wrote:

> Well actually the -ng designation is gone now.
>
> If you read the announcements here: http://madwifi.org/ you will find
> this:
>
> "Note: June 2006, "madwifi-old" has been deprecated, it is no longer
> supported.
> All users are encouraged to use an official release tarball, which
> contains a
> stable snapshot of svn trunk."
I did dig that all out.  It just threw me at first.  11-ng carries a lot
of political IEEE 802 baggage.

>> If I should not be using the RH drivers from
>> http://atrpms.net/dist/el4/madwifi/, is there someway for you to
>> share your builds?
>
> I have been successfully using the madwifi drivers from
> http://madwifi.org/
> for several weeks. When I last looked, the stuff at atrpms was out of
> date.
> That may be corrected by now but it is easy enough to get the latest
> driver,
> so it makes sense to build your own.
But so far, I have only done ONE build of my own.  I have my docs from
that time and now I have to put it all together to see if I can do it
for real.

The files are dated 5/31/06 which is after the madwifi-ng release.

> It turns out that if you take one of the daily tarballs from
> subversion and
> run "rpmbuild -ta tarball_name" it will build a driver that "just works".
> All I had to do to get it to work with no encryption was plug in the
> card.
All of my APs here have some level of encryption.  I was one  of the
contributors to 11i; you know, eat your own dogfood.

> In order to get wpa to work I had to configure wpa_supplicant and
> start it
> by hand after the card is inserted.
Sigh.

> In my /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf file I have something
> like the
> following:
>
> # Run the following command to add another wpa network to the system:
> # wpa_passphrase YOURSSID yourpassphrase
> # mtd 27 May 06
Passphrase will work for some, but I need PEAP-MSCHAP.

> ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
> ctrl_interface_group=wheel
>
> network={
>         ssid="my_accesspoint"
>         psk=8f12345672d565a2611c29dfaea6abac90432112341562e49f3c8801bf
> }
I will make note of this..
> Having said all of the above I must confess that, I have never
> actually tried
> any of this on a centos system. My laptop runs FC5 so things might be
> slightly
> different.
>
> Hope this helps,
yes!