[CentOS] Hosting

Karl R. Balsmeier karl at klxsystems.net
Mon Jul 10 23:48:18 UTC 2006

Howdy,

I use Cpanel currently, and have tried two other products in the past.

It creates all of the FTP/www/mysql/mailman/ssh and other essentials in
mere seconds.  It has about 25-35 different packages that it enables, like
phpBB, php-nuke, post-nuke, e-107, mambo, geeklog, OSCommerce carts, you
name it.  All from a single command line.

Hook it up to your favorite domain provider through a vendor relationship,
you can automate the entire domain selection/ web hosting/ site creation
paradigm.  I'm used to having someone up in 10 minutes once they tell me
the domain name desired, or they input it into my forms.

Last step once you are big enough, is to hook in an online payment API
like modernbill or ensim or other, these integrate with Cpanel, Plesk,
H-Shpere and the like, and basically look/ feel like what the rest of the
net runs when you visit folks like powersurge.net or whomever else of the
bazillion hosting firms are out there.

Be you small fry or juggernaut, most folks are using either Plesk or
Cpanel or H-Sphere type tools to automate their hosted environments.

A yearly license is around 400 US (install is included free of charge),
but totally worth it when you consider it takes alot of time to sit and
edit your zone files in DNS manually, httpd.conf, and mysql command, and
FTP server commands.

Ick, it makes me shudder to remember back to those days.  whew.  those
darn typos every now and again in a virtualhost directory statement, or
worse yet, a missing dot or forgotten serial number increment in a zone
file.

CentOS is the favorite of Cpanel and H-Shpere vendors these days, and
Plesk seems to be a WinTel type firm, -who's coders and support teams are
based in yes, Russia.  Cpanel is in Virginia I think, and H-sphere/Comodo
are canada/germany combo, known as Positive Software, but under constant
internal shift for whatever reason.

Cpanel has shown me the best support model, when they fail to answer a
question I ask for two hours (once in 2 years), they automatically award
you a high-priority $65.00 phone incident.  They are fast and won't leave
you hanging, often just beaming onto the server and fixing rare breakage
one might cause performing normal maintenance.

CentOS is highly appealing because the user community is deeply
informative and quick to respond.  This is perhaps one of the many reasons
vendors put in one of the top positions for what OS to install their
product on, if not *the* top.

-be well, and good luck in your hosting!

-karlski