[CentOS] RPM: any better way to reinstall only certain files?

William L. Maltby BillsCentOS at triad.rr.com
Tue Jul 11 18:15:18 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-07-11 at 13:54 -0400, William L. Maltby wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-07-11 at 13:41 -0400, Jim Perrin wrote:
> > On 7/11/06, William L. Maltby <BillsCentOS at triad.rr.com> wrote:
> > > My former primary boot disk had some bad spots appear awhile back.
> > > Damage, per rpm --verify, seems to be predominately in loss of reference
> > > files in /usr/share/doc and such as that.
> > >
> > > <snip>
>
> > Depending on the corruption you've got, rpm -Fvh might be what you
> > want. Freshen may solve some of your dilemma.
>
> I'll give it a short-shot. It didn't occur to me that RPM *might* go
> check file(s), not just the DB, to see if a "frshen" was needed.
>
> I will say I'm not hopeful, but I appreciate the time and suggestion
> regardless of outcome. I've just got the list of all available RPMs and
> just started selecting those I need. So I haven't lost a lot of time
> either way.

Just an FYI (and a "just in case I overlooked something"), it *seems* to
be "No Joy in Mudville". Ran it twice on redhat logos that is missing a
directory and a file. Silence ensued and results didn't!  :-O

So I did it again with a "--verbose" figuring that you folks who have
lived with it awhile might spot something I borked. Then, did an
rpm2cpio to confirm the two components were indeed carried in the rpm
file. They are.

Here's the verbosdity in case there is some value in it. I expect not
and thanks again.

# rpm -Fvh --verbose ${URL}redhat-logos-1.1.26-1.centos4.1.noarch.rpm
Retrieving
http://centosg.centos.org/centos-4/4.3/os/i386/CentOS/RPMS/redhat-
logos-1.1.26-1.centos4.1.noarch.rpm
D:  ... as /var/tmp/rpm-xfer.vHkhDB
D: ============== /var/tmp/rpm-xfer.vHkhDB
D: Expected size:      7985002 = lead(96)+sigs(344)+pad(0)+data(7984562)
D:   Actual size:      7985002
D: opening  db environment /var/lib/rpm/Packages joinenv
D: opening  db index       /var/lib/rpm/Packages rdonly mode=0x0
D: locked   db index       /var/lib/rpm/Packages
D: opening  db index       /var/lib/rpm/Pubkeys rdonly mode=0x0
D:  read h#    1397 Header sanity check: OK
D: ========== DSA pubkey id a53d0bab443e1821
D: /var/tmp/rpm-xfer.vHkhDB: V3 DSA signature: OK, key ID 443e1821
D: opening  db index       /var/lib/rpm/Name rdonly mode=0x0
D:  read h#    2056 Header V3 DSA signature: OK, key ID 443e1821
D: found 0 source and 0 binary packages
D: closed   db index       /var/lib/rpm/Pubkeys
D: closed   db index       /var/lib/rpm/Name
D: closed   db index       /var/lib/rpm/Packages
D: closed   db environment /var/lib/rpm/Packages

<snip>

--
Bill