[CentOS] Notebook suspend instructions -- Gentoo to Centos

Robert Moskowitz

rgm at htt-consult.com
Tue Jul 11 18:16:51 UTC 2006

At:  http://www.linux.com/article.pl?sid=06/05/24/1716222

are instructions for implementing suspend mode on a Linux notebook, but
the script is for Gentoo and it seems like Centos needs something else.
As this puts my system REALLY fast into Suspend, but it never comes back
out.

Further the temp file:  var/tmp/video_state.XXXXXX is empty, so
something is not right.

Now for my system, HP NC4010, cat /sys/power/state results in:

standby mem disk  (I think that is the list, definitely 3 items with the
2nd being mem).

I ASSuME that this meets what the instructions tell you need to see if
your notebook supports acpi suspend.

But grep ACPI_SLEEP KERNEL_CONFIG does not seem to have a SLEEP line.
Well maybe I was not looking in the right place for the kernel_config.
I was looking in /usr/src/

But echo -n mem > /sys/power/state really puts my system into a suspend
mode fast.

Perhaps part of the problem is with cat /proc/bus/pci/$ID > $TMP_FILE as
there are a couple of directories in this directory.

It is rather hard to supply more detailed information, as I have to keep
rebooting between XP and Linux until I get Thunderbird migrated...