[CentOS] Building a new 2.6 kernel

John Warren

jwarren at prudentrx.com
Tue Jul 11 22:19:38 UTC 2006

I needed more serial ports that the basic CentOS Version 4 system is built to
use so I'm using the following kernel build instructions to build the new 2.6
kernel:

http://www.hylafax.org/content/Handbook:Basic_Server_Configuration:Modem-speci
fic_Guidance

I believe the procedure is correct but the kernel is not building.

I used the "kernel-2.6.9-34.EL.src.rpm file that I found on one of the CentOS
mirrors.

Here are the problems that I've had so far.

1) The correct architecture to use. Does anyone know which architecture should
be used for the Dell 2650 Dual Xeon processor? I thought the correct
configuration file would have been "kernel-2.6.9-i686-smp.config". I've also
tried "kernel-2.6.9-i586-smp.config" and run into the same problems.

2) When it built the rpm it was named "kernel-2.6.934.ELcustom-1.i386.rpm" but
I would have expected it to be named "kernel-2.6.9-34.ELcustom-1.i386.rpm".
Was it build using the correct name or might something be misconfigured.

3) When I entered the following command:
"rpm -i /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/i386/kernel-2.6.934.ELcustom-1.i386.rpm"

I get the following error:
"error: Failed dependencies: kernel >= 2.6.10 conflicts with
lksctp-tools-1.0.2-6.4E.1.i386"

The "kernel >= 2.6.10" does not make sense but I was wondering if it had
anything to do with the file being named kernel-2.6.934.... or is there some
other problem I should be looking for?

Ideas anyone?

John Warren
Network Operations Administrator

Prudent Rx Inc.
100 Corporate Pointe, Suite 395
Culver City, CA 90230

P: +1 (310)642-1700 x121
F: +1 (310)642-1701
e: jwarren at prudentrx.com

**Notice of Confidentiality**
Please note that the information contained in this message may be privileged
and confidential and protected from disclosure under the law, including the
Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA). If the reader of
communication is strictly prohibited and may subject you to criminal or civil
penalties. If you have received this communication in error, please notify the
sender by replying to the message and delete the material from any computer.

        Thank you,

        Prudent Rx, Inc.