[CentOS] Suspend and/or Hibernate

Sean Carolan

scarolan at gmail.com
Thu Jul 13 13:19:41 UTC 2006

I asked about ACPI several weeks ago but received no responses.  Are
suspend and hibernate features not supported in CentOS yet?  I noticed
there is a daemon for acpi:

[scarolan at kalki ~]$ chkconfig --list | grep acpi
acpid           0:off   1:off   2:off   3:on    4:on    5:on    6:off

But how do I use this feature?  Normally I'm accustomed to this being
a menu option when I log out (eg, on recent versions of Fedora or
Ubuntu).  I noticed in /etc/acpi/events/ there is a file called
sample.conf which configures the power button to attempt a graceful
shutdown.  How can I add a 'suspend' or 'hibernate' feature and bind
it to a keyboard combination?

thanks

Sean