[CentOS] Vmware server help

Centos-admin

redhat at mckerrs.net
Sat Jul 15 03:19:38 UTC 2006

Hello all,

I thought I'd ask you guys about this one since I've had no luck from
vmware forums/kb or google ...

I have a centos 4.3 x86-64 (athlon64 with cool-n quiet enabled) with
vmware server 1.0 installed and working beautifully with the annoying
exception of my guest machines clocks (centos, ubuntu etc) run very
fast. I've read the vmware white paper on guest clocks, tried all their
suggestions and had no joy. I've tried passing the clock=x parameters to
the guests kernel etc to no avail. There is one last hope according to
the white paper....install vmware tools and then set clock=pmtr and then
use ntp from within the guest to sync the time periodically. Do any of
you know a way to get vmware tools installed when you do not run a
graphical interface (ie runlevel of the box is 3) ? I cant seem to get
it going. Should I download the tools and copy them into the vm ?

Any help much appreciated as I'm not cutting over to use production VMs
until I can fix this.

Cheers,

Bards.