[CentOS] Dumb question about a Xeon Procesor

Paul subsolar at subsolar.com
Sat Jul 15 04:48:30 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-07-14 at 23:07 -0500, Erick Perez wrote:
> Sorry to ask here but never used a Xeon before. Tomorrow i need to
> install Centos 4.3 on a Quad Xeon (not dual core). Xeon is a 32 bit or
> 64 bit system?
> I already have centos 4.3 x86_64 on a Dvd and im not sure if i need to
> download another ISO or can I use the one i have?

Some Xeon processors are "64 bit" ... these are the ones with what is
called EMT64 by Intel, all other Xeon processors are 32bit.

I would suggest that unless you need to address lots of memory you
probably would be better off even running the EMT64 Xeons in 32bit.
Because of some design decisions Intel made in their implementation they
run faster in 32bit mode than 64bit, unlike Opertons which perform
better in 64bit .

Paul