[CentOS] Vmware server help

Aleksandar Milivojevic alex at milivojevic.org
Sun Jul 16 03:07:59 UTC 2006

Ken Key wrote:

>   - Copy the vmware tools ISO image out of the VM Host onto the
>     the Guest.  It is found in "/usr/lib/vmware/isoimages/linux.iso"
>
>   - mount the ISO loopback and copy the RPM/tarball into /tmp/ - unmount

Actually, you don't need to copy the ISO image to the guest.  Just
change definition of guest's CD-ROM drive to point to the ISO image.
You'll need to change both path and type.  That's basically very similar
to what happens when you click on "install vmware tools" in the
vmware-console (it simulates that you inserted the CD into the guest's
CD-ROM drive).  Not sure for the vmware server, but with ESX you can do
this either in the web management interface, or while the client is
running using vmware-console.

I'd also recommend to download latest version of the vmware tools from
their web site.  The latest versions of vmware tools have precompiled
kernel modules for CentOS 4.x (with older versions, you had to compile
them on the guest).