[CentOS] vsftpd virtual users not able to delete the files (second time post)

ankush grover ankushcentos at gmail.com
Mon Jul 17 06:18:45 UTC 2006

> well, for the user *tester* to be able to access that directory the user
> has to either have ownership of that directory or be a member of the
> group that has access rights to that directory. My suggestion would be
> to make ownership of that directory tester.apache, and make the user
> tester a member of the group apache. Then your chmod setting of 755 will
> give the user *tester* rwx (read/write/execute) and the apache group r-w
> (read/-/execute) perms for that directory.
>
> then when user tester logs in via FTP he'll be able to access his home
> directory.

hey,

Virtual users of vsftp are non system users. I have created the virtual
users through

db_load -T -t hash -f logins.txt /etc/vsftpd_login.db

entries of vsftpd_login is like this

ankush  -> username
ankush  -> password of username ankush
tester  ->   username
tester->    password of username tester

If this user (in this case tester) is not a system user how can I make it
the member of apache group?

If I give 777 permissions on /var/www/html/testing then anybody can delete
the files which I don't want ?

May be setting setuid or setgid on the testing directory solves the problem
(let me test this out).

Thanks & Regards

Ankush Grover