[CentOS] help for creating sendmail virtual users

William L. Maltby BillsCentOS at triad.rr.com
Mon Jul 17 17:38:46 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-07-17 at 22:28 +0530, ankush grover wrote:

> On 7/17/06, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists at karan.org> wrote:
>         ankush grover wrote:
>         ><snip>

> Thanks for the reply. This is just the testing machine and the mail
> server will be either on the latest version of Centos or Fedora. But
> first I need to understand the concepts and configuration of Sendmail.

A friendly suggestion then. Read first. Sendmail is (overly) complex
because it can do so much. For simpler tasks, one could say it is
overkill. If your 25 users are waiting for you to do something, better
go the fast way first and learn later.

Are you familiar with the m4 macro language? If not... no problem. When
I first worked Sendmail, we used it directly. TG I never had to learn
that much. But I mention it so you can go to /etc/mail and look at the
*.cf files generated from the *.mc files. And you see the commonly(?)
touched things. There are *tons* (maybe metric tons) of other things you
don't see that have an effect. Get hold of a good Sendmail admin guide.

> Thanks & Regards
>
> Ankush Grover
> <snip sig stuff>

BTW, as suggested by another, last time I set up mail in my LAN previous
incarnation, I did postfix. Easy, reliable, flexible. I second the
recommendation until you have time to become more familiar with
Sendmail.

GL to you.
--
Bill