[CentOS] CentosPlus Kernel coward

Robert Moskowitz

rgm at htt-consult.com
Wed Jul 19 02:00:33 UTC 2006

I strongly suspect that going to the CentosPlus Kernel would be good for
my notebook:

Not having NTFS support is making moving files from my XP drive to my
Linux drive a pain.
Suspend is not working.  Rather I suspend and never get out of it!
My notebook has an internal SD reader that is not recognized.  I notice
on boot a message that:

ide2: I/O resource 0x3EE-0x3EE not free.
ide2: ports already in use, skipping probe

I suspect this is the SD reader.

When I insert a USB MP3 player with an internal drive and SD drive, only
the internal drive is recognized.  The SD card drive is ignored.

And so forth.

But http://mirror.centos.org/centos/4/centosplus/Readme.txt warns me:

You might want
to exclude any packages from the [base] and [updates] section of your
/etc/yum.repos.d/CentOS-Base.repo file like this:

exclude=php* kernel* postfix*

And I am not sure what to do with this.  I have started using yumex on
my notebook to 'cherry pick' from CentosPlus (Firebird and Thunderbird)
and CentosContrib.