[CentOS] resolve problem

Jason Bradley Nance aitrus at tresgeek.net
Thu Jul 20 05:13:06 UTC 2006

CentOS List wrote:
>>> I had install a CentOS 4.3. In etc/resolve.conf,  the nameserver i
>>> use is the static IP which i was issue by the datacentre. I cant
>>> resolve any domain. But if i use a public DNS IP, i am able to
>>> resolve. What is wrong with my IP?
>>
>> What's the output of:
>>
>> dig google.com @the.ip.you.were.given
>>
>> where @the.ip.you.were.given is literally something like @1.2.3.4

<snip output>

Uhhh.... If that's what you got back, then that name server is totally
screwed up, not your machine.

Verify with your isp that you have the correct IP for their name server.

Jason Bradley Nance                        What would you cry for?
aitrus at tresgeek.net                          Swallow your pride for?
            Tres Geek                       What would you go wild for?
http://tresgeek.net/
                                                           -Poe, "Wild"