[CentOS] only one mysql process in pstree

Ralph Angenendt ra+centos at br-online.de
Thu Jul 20 10:37:50 UTC 2006

Renjith Rajan wrote:
> Hi All,
>
>   I have two servers, one is centos 4.3 (new) and other is rh9 (old). Both of
> them run mysql as the primary database server. I installed mysql via the rpms
> available in mysql.com downloads.
>
>   Recently when i do "pstree", i noticed that RH9 server shows many mysql
> children while centos shows only one. Here is the pstree result. (Both of
> them runs the same version of mysql)

Mysql uses threads and doesn't fork off several processes to do the
work. Older kernels (or - the older threads version in Linux) show each
thread as a new process with its own pid. Recent kernels and pstools
just show the pid - so you're not able to see the threads mysql has
spawned.

You can see those threads with ps, using the "-m" option (show all
threads):

ps aux -m | grep mysql

Regards,

Ralph
--
Ralph Angenendt......ra at br-online.de | .."Text processing has made it possible
Bayerischer Rundfunk...80300 München | ....to right-justify any idea, even one