[CentOS] Kickstart problem.

Aleksandar Milivojevic alex at milivojevic.org
Thu Jul 20 14:34:08 UTC 2006

Quoting "Plant, Dean" <dean.plant at roke.co.uk>:

> I am trying to use kickstart for automated builds from a DVD. Some of
> the machines have DVD's drives and some have CDRom drives only. With the
> CDRom only machines I would like to plug in an external DVD drive via
> USB and use this to kickstart.
>
> The DVD only machines work correctly with a isolinux.cfg as
>
> label test
>   kernel vmlinuz
>   append initrd=initrd.img ramdisk_size=8192 ks=cdrom:/test-ks.cfg
>
> Machines with a internal CDRom drive and the external USB DVD do not
> find the kickstart so I figure that I need to change the
> ks=cdrom:/test-ks.cfg to something else.
>
> I have tried the following with no success
>
> label test2
>   kernel vmlinuz
>   append initrd=initrd.img ramdisk_size=8192 ks=cdrom1:/test-ks.cfg
>
> To save me producing lots of coasters can anyone tell me what the
> "ks=cdrom" should be changed to.

Boot into rescue from USB DVD drive, and see what device it gets
assigned.  For example, my DVD drive appears as /dev/scd0.  So in my
case, something like "ks=hd:scd0:/test-ks.cfg" to work (haven't tested
it).  Note that depending on actuall hardware configuration, your
external DVD drive might appear under different names on different
machines (for example /dev/scd0 on one machine, and /dev/scd1 on
another machine).

For more info, see:

http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/enterprise/RHEL-4-Manual/sysadmin-guide/s1-kickstart2-startinginstall.html

To avoid coasters, use DVD-RW, DVD+RW or DVD-RAM when experimenting...

--
See Ya' later, alligator!
http://www.8-P.ca/