[CentOS] Kickstart problem.

Plant, Dean dean.plant at roke.co.uk
Thu Jul 20 14:56:58 UTC 2006

Aleksandar Milivojevic wrote:
> Quoting "Plant, Dean" <dean.plant at roke.co.uk>:
>
>> I am trying to use kickstart for automated builds from a DVD. Some of
>> the machines have DVD's drives and some have CDRom drives only. With
>> the CDRom only machines I would like to plug in an external DVD
>> drive via USB and use this to kickstart.
>>
>> The DVD only machines work correctly with a isolinux.cfg as
>>
>> label test
>>   kernel vmlinuz
>>   append initrd=initrd.img ramdisk_size=8192 ks=cdrom:/test-ks.cfg
>>
>> Machines with a internal CDRom drive and the external USB DVD do not
>> find the kickstart so I figure that I need to change the
>> ks=cdrom:/test-ks.cfg to something else.
>>
>> I have tried the following with no success
>>
>> label test2
>>   kernel vmlinuz
>>   append initrd=initrd.img ramdisk_size=8192 ks=cdrom1:/test-ks.cfg
>>
>> To save me producing lots of coasters can anyone tell me what the
>> "ks=cdrom" should be changed to.
>
> Boot into rescue from USB DVD drive, and see what device it gets
> assigned.  For example, my DVD drive appears as /dev/scd0.  So in my
> case, something like "ks=hd:scd0:/test-ks.cfg" to work (haven't tested
> it).  Note that depending on actuall hardware configuration, your
> external DVD drive might appear under different names on different
> machines (for example /dev/scd0 on one machine, and /dev/scd1 on
> another machine).
>
> For more info, see:

http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/enterprise/RHEL-4-Manual/sysadmin-gui
de/s1-kickstart2-startinginstall.html

> To avoid coasters, use DVD-RW, DVD+RW or DVD-RAM when experimenting...

Thanks for the reply,

It make sense now, I should have thought to try the
ks=hd:<device>:/ks.cfg setting. I first I thought this was for hard
disks only.

Anyway, tried ks=hd:scd0:/test-ks.cfg and everything works as expected.

Thank you.

Dean.