[CentOS] why is this machine using swap space?

William L. Maltby BillsCentOS at triad.rr.com
Fri Jul 21 16:01:15 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-07-21 at 10:52 -0500, Larry Vaden wrote:
> On 7/21/06, William L. Maltby <BillsCentOS at triad.rr.com> wrote:
> > On Fri, 2006-07-21 at 10:05 -0500, Larry Vaden wrote:
> > > <snip>

> > To answer your question: because it is there! ;-) And it can!
> >
> > Seriously, a recent thread involving this is in the archives. Short ans:
> > "swappiness" parameter can be used to reduce it and there is a "bug"
> > that disappears with U4 (IIRC). Also, some config settings can reduce
> > it.
> >
> > Now we have two threads on it.  >:-)
>
> <humor>
> So, how many threads before it can go in the faq?
> </humor>

Got me! I'm just a TDU (Typical Dumb User)!

> Seriously, did I miss it or is Centos at centos.org not covered by Google groups?

I recall someone posted a way *other* than what I do to find it, but I
can't remember it (and never wanted to become a Google expert either).

*BUT* what I use is the "site:centos" as a parameter (for me, usually in

Someday I'll need to look that up. But I'm afraid of the number of hits
I'll get, even within the list, on "Google"!  =>:-O

> If not covered by Google groups, why (or more positively, can we change that)?

IUC, that would be the ref I mentioned that I can't remember? *sigh*

They say your memory's the 2nd thing to go!

> rgds/ldv
> <snip sig stuff>

HTH
--