[CentOS] Unable to configure squid transparent proxy on Centos4.0

ankush grover

ankushcentos at gmail.com
Fri Jul 21 16:53:21 UTC 2006

hey friends,

 I am trying to configure Squid Transparent Proxy on Centos4.0. The eth0 is
connected to the Internet and eth1 is for the LAN connection
I am testing this scenario with 2 machines one machine (Centos4.0 ) on which
squid is running and other machine which is debian is on the network
192.168.2.0.

Centos4.0
   eth0:   192.168.1.125/24
   eth1:   192.168.2.126/24

Debian:
   eth0:  192.168.2.83/24  gateway: 192.168.2.126/24 (eth1 of Centos)

Squid works fine if I manually add the proxy settings in any browser for the
clients of network (192.168.1.0) but as I want to configure transparent
proxy I have added these lines to squid.conf
          http_port 5678
          httpd_accel_host virtual
          httpd_accel_port 80
          httpd_accel_with_proxy on
          httpd_accel_uses_host_header on

iptables configuration  Only one rule is there

iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -p tcp --dport 80 -j REDIRECT --to-port 5678

I can access the LAN servers from the Debian machine but I am not able to
access the internet.

Any pointers what can be the problem ?

Please let me know if you need any other inputs.

Thanks & Regards

Ankush Grover