[CentOS] nullmailer recommendations

Larry Vaden vaden at texoma.net
Fri Jul 21 18:35:32 UTC 2006

On 7/21/06, Mark Schoonover <schoon at amgt.com> wrote:
> Now, I'm sure it's because I'm not experienced in sendmail.

TTL, you don't have to be :)

Use WLM's simple way or use the recipe at
<http://www.postfix.org/STANDARD_CONFIGURATION_README.html#null_client>
(see below the sig for the relevant excerpt).

Postfix isn't H E A V Y (quite the contrary);  if you like, I can post

ps auxw | grep -i sendmail

and

ps auxw | grep -i postfix

so you can see for yourself what is H E A V Y and what is lite.

Plus, you keep open the options to corral the folks on your LAN so you
won't have to worry about getting off the top few lines at
senderbase.org.

rgds/ldv

<http://www.postfix.org/STANDARD_CONFIGURATION_README.html#null_client>
says in part:

In this example we assume that the Internet domain name is
"example.com" and that the machine is named "nullclient.example.com".
As usual, the examples show only parameters that are not left at their
default settings.

    1 /etc/postfix/main.cf:
    2     myorigin = $mydomain
    3     relayhost = $mydomain
    4     inet_interfaces = 127.0.0.1
    5     local_transport = error:local delivery is disabled
    6
    7 /etc/postfix/master.cf:
    8     Comment out the local delivery agent entry

Translation:

    *

      Line 2: Send mail as "user at example.com" (instead of
"user at nullclient.example.com"), so that nothing ever has a reason to
send mail to "user at nullclient.example.com".
    *

      Line 3: Forward all mail to the mail server that is responsible
for the "example.com" domain. This prevents mail from getting stuck on
the null client if it is turned off while some remote destination is
unreachable.
    *

      Line 4: Do not accept mail from the network.
    *

      Lines 5-8: Disable local mail delivery. All mail goes to the
mail server as specified in line 3.