[CentOS] CentOS4.3: Upgrade Python for Zope&Plone

Ben shadroth at gmail.com
Sun Jul 23 08:50:29 UTC 2006

On 7/22/06, Alfred von Campe <alfred at 110.net> wrote:
> Any luck installing a parallel version of Python?  If so, can you
> post the recipe?

The following is for CentOS 4.3 - I'm going to have to do it all again
for CentOS 3.x soon, unless my VPS provider starts supporting 4.x
before my project deadline :-(

The following gets everything but tkinter working with Python 2.4.3

#0. You need the basics, eg. gcc, gcc-c++, vim-enhanced, wget etc.
There's some other stuff on this install, so if you still have
problems I can give you some more info.

#1. I installed yum packages in this order (and accepted the
dependencies). No doubt not all of these are needed, but I don't know
which ones are safe to avoid and I just need to get something up and
working to develop on ASAP.

zlib-devel
libjpeg-devel
freetype
freetype-devel
tcl
tcl-devel
tk
tk-devel

#2. Build Python 2.4.3, with all defaults
./configure
make
make install

#3. Build PIL - not sure if you need this, but I do for Plone).
Instructions as per the PIL README.
For your reference, I have included the following output - note
tkinter is working (it wasn't for me until I added the tcl, tcl-devel,
tk and tk-devel packages).

/usr/local/bin/python setup.py build_ext -i
PIL 1.1.5 BUILD SUMMARY
version       1.1.5
platform      linux2 2.4.3 (#3, Jul 23 2006, 18:03:51)
              [GCC 3.4.5 20051201 (Red Hat 3.4.5-2)]
--- TKINTER support ok
--- JPEG support ok
--- ZLIB (PNG/ZIP) support ok
--- FREETYPE2 support ok

I don' t think the selftest.py will work through SSH on a system
without xwindows, but I don't know enough Python to know for sure - in
any case, it reported only one error, but for all I know it just gave
up at the first step.

#4 Install Zope & Plone - You're probably not interested in this.

Plone's site setup page now shows PIL v1.1.5 (instead of reporting an error)
I haven't had a chance to verify this yet.

> Also, I'd like to be able to package the whole
> thing up as a (relocatable) RPM, but I've never build my own RPM.  So
> before I go re-inventing the wheel, I'd like to leverage the
> collective experience of this group.

Sorry, I don't have experience with building RPMs.

HTH,

Ben
please CC me as I use digest.