[CentOS] i need help about centos and dell poweredge 2800

Roberto Barrientos Molina

roberto.barrientos at umag.cl
Sun Jul 23 17:03:37 UTC 2006

i, someone can help me with migration from redhat 4 to centos 4 with a
dell poweredge machine in RAID 5. i have sequence from old mailist than
can migration from redhat 3 yo centos 3 with the next sequence,
from Ted Targosz:
####
we performed the following steps to migrate a RHEL 3.0 machine to centos
3.7

backup all data

Import GPG Keys: rpm --import
http://mirror.centos.org/centos/3.7/os/i386/RPM-GPG-KEY-CentOS-3

Install yum: rpm -Uvh --nodeps
http://mirror.centos.org/centos/3.7/os/i386/RedHat/RPMS/yum-2.0.8-1.centos.7.noarch.rpm
http://mirror.centos.org/centos/3.7/os/i386/RedHat/RPMS/centos-yumconf-1-11.noarch.rpm
http://mirror.centos.org/centos/3.7/os/i386/RedHat/RPMS/centos-yumcache-3.1-0.20060404.3.noarch.rpm

Update Release information: rpm -e redhat-release-3ES-13.6.2 && rpm -ivh
http://mirror.centos.org/centos/3.7/os/i386/RedHat/RPMS/centos-release-3-7.1.i386.rpm

then just:
yum  upgrade

and voila,  after all downloaded and installed (and a reboot because of
kernel upgrade)...we were running on Centos 3.7   (and getting free
updates/patches)
####

question:
i can do the same procedure with redhat 4 to centos 4 ??
i read a lot, lot lot info doc, and  i try my own move, like:
#linux update
#linux upgradeany
..etc..the result is kernel panic...
that all.. i hope some help.